Sunday, October 9, 2011

Interview with Jamie Haden (and contest entry for tour wide contest)

Tell us about your current release.


Hi and thank you so much for having me today. My current release Spirit Seeker is about the life of sixteen-year old Talisa Santiago. Life is strange and difficult for the granddaughter of a shaman. Talisa was born in the desert underneath the full moon in January—the wolf moon. However, she left the desert with her mother when she was a young girl. She remembers bits and pieces of her past but it isn’t until she and her mom move to a remote barrier island off the coast of North Carolina that she feels fate has finally called—secretive and mysterious he stands alone on the edge of the bank. Her friends tell her to stay away; she hears rumors that he is dangerous. Still, she can’t resist. Whether Talisa realizes it or not, she knows a thing or two about boys like Jag Chavez. Fate is funny that way.

For the first time in her life, Talisa meets kids just like her—Native Americans who know the way of the spirit. The closer she gets to Jag, the more she realizes he is hiding a dark secret. He may have the markings of the Thunderbird, but he is named for the powerful Jaguar. Together they embark on a journey that will haunt her forever.



Tell us about your next release.

Secrets, communications with the spiritual worlds, dangerous desires, and deep-rooted beliefs are the back drop to Illuminate—Alive, she cried, the story of Native American shape-shifters.

Some say the concept of rebirth is simply a metaphor for living a better life, a holier life. For seventeen-year old Talisa Santiago, such a resurrection is anything but a metaphor. It is her reality.

Talisa knows she can communicate with the spiritual world. She is the granddaughter of a shaman and going between two different worldly dimensions is something she realizes she is destined to do. However, what she doesn’t count on is what fate has in store for her.

After surviving the first hurricane of the season on the island where she lives, Talisa learns that her life is in grave danger. She must leave immediately and retreat to live with a secretive clan of Indians on a remote reservation deep within the Great Smokey Mountains.

Her blood brothers, three shifters who have the desires of both man and animal surround her, promising everlasting friendship and protection. Now, Talisa will put her life in their hands, depart from her mother, and begin the journey of a lifetime. However, the majestic mountains hold many secrets and danger lurks in the night. There are evil tricksters everywhere that want her dead. As Talisa falls prey to the confusion of her own burgeoning sexuality, she unleashes an untamed passion that may get them all killed.

Illuminate—Alive, she cried, is complete at 94,000 words.



Where do you dream of traveling to and why?

I would love to go back to Europe but this time with my daughters. The last time my husband and I traveled abroad, we were alone. We are planning to go back in the near future and take the girls to Italy, France, and of course, Spain. My husband would love a second home in The Netherlands.



Does travel play in the writing of your books?

Certainly, travel plays a large role in my books. Physically speaking, Talisa is from Mexico and travels to different bodies of water before moving to Silence a remote barrier Island off the coast of NC. However, the Spirit people in Spirit Seeker are all able to travel within, and journey into other worldly spiritual dimensions.



Has someone been instrumental in inspiring you as a writer?

Growing up my father was my greatest inspiration. Now, my daughters inspire me to write. I wrote Spirit Seeker for them.





What was one of the most surprising things you learned while writing your books?

I am really at peace when I at home.



Who are your books published with?

My novel Spirit Seeker is published with Pill Hill Press. My editor Jessy Marie Roberts is fantastic! It is really a dream come true to work with such amazing people.

What do you think makes a good story?

Honesty.



Tell us about your family.

I am a stay at home mom raising three young daughters. My little girls are my greatest inspiration. My husband David and I met in college when we were 18. We eloped when we finished graduate school and ran off to the The Great Smokey Mountains. We’ve been married now for 18 years. He is my best friend.

What book are you reading now?

I just started Jane Eyre on ibooks.

What songs are most played on your Ipod?

Everything Bob Dylan.



What is your favorite meal?

I love pesto! My favorite is pesto salmon with pesto veggies and pesto bread. (My daughter’s secret recipe!) I could eat salmon for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Second is Fried Green Tomatoes.



What are you passionate about these days?

Wine. My husband and I have a couple of cellars and we cave red wine. My favorite wine of all is Burgundy, Bordeaux, and Barolo.



What do you do to unwind and relax?

I love to hang around the pool with my family and enjoy good food and wine.



Do you have any suggestions for beginning writers? If so, what are they?

Read. Read. Read.


Do you have a milestone birthday coming up? If so, how are you approaching it?

Oh my, I am now in my forties. Forty three to be exact. However, I actually love my age, and feel the best that I have in years. I walk everyday with my husband and do lots of yoga and meditation.



Tell us about your favorite restaurant.

I know this sounds silly but my kitchen is my favorite place to eat. My husband is an amazing cook.

What makes you happy?

My daughters.



Say your publisher has offered to fly you anywhere in the world to do research on an upcoming book, where would you most likely want to go?

Italy, as long as my daughters could come, I’d go in a heartbeat.

Where are your fans most likely to find you hanging out?

In my backyard by the pool or at the beach.

Do you have a Website or Blog?

My website is www.jamiehaden.com

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

Thank you for hanging out with me today!




Like the Spirit Seeker Facebook page

Follow Jamie On Twitter

Follow Jamies Blog

Click the link for the give away And leave a comment on the tour stop

Enter Here

No comments:

Post a Comment